Sweet Mistake Cookies
12 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS.
SANTA’S GETTING FAT.
Please, do not roll your eyes yet. “Really?! More cookies? 2 days in a row now? Can you not mix it up a bit?” you ask. Well, yeah… It is the week of cookie swaps, you guys … So, let’s just enjoy this 😉
My plan for cookie swap event number two was, to make some chocolate filled cookies. However today, for some strange reason, I was very much accident prone. I broke 3 rice bowls in order to grab a couple of ramekins which stacked nicely next to them in my ‘over-filled’ cupboard. Broke my favorite cappucino cup. And I accidentally ground one of my Weck jar clamps when I ran my garbage disposal. All in a time span of 30 minutes. And then, I attempted to make my labor intensive / time consuming chocolate filled cookies! Well, you guessed it — I messed it up!
I failed, friends. But the good news is, I made lemonade out of the lemons that were dealt to me! Despite all of the chocolate filled cookie drama I was having in my little kitchen, I ‘upcycled’ my failed attempt to perform cookie dough and fold it with what’s supposed to be the chocolate filling. The result? Light and airy with just the right amount of sweetness cookies. Adding toasted slivered almonds takes these otherwise plain and simple cookies to the next level.
Life is a series of failed events. Today, unfortunately is one of them for me. I learned that if I don’t easily give up, give in, (or simply have a bad attitude towards the cards I was dealt with), … 9 times out of ten, I come out smelling like a winner! 😀
Guys, like I mentioned earlier, these cookies are not overly sugary! So, if you feel the need to dial up the sweetness, go right ahead. Sprinkle some confectioners sugar on them. Indulge yourself a little bit. Be naughty. Think about it, you have four more weeks before you ‘execute’ your New Year’s resolutions. Plenty of time. So let’s enjoy the moment 😀
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup confectioners sugar
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1½ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, optional
- Scald heavy cream in a small saucepan over medium hear. Add chocolate chips and stir until melted. Remove from the heat and side aside. Let it completely cool off.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer at medium speed, cream butter. Add sugars and beat until smooth. Add yolks one at a time and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add flour and salt. Fold in chocolate mixture and almonds.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool. Sprinkle with confectioners sugar.