Holiday Spicy Corn Casserole
12 DAYS OF CHRISTMAS.
MUCH OF IT COMES NICELY PRE-PACKAGED.
Okay, this one particular recipe is especially for all my friends who think this dish is magical. Forgive me, but it’s not 🙂 At all. I was so embarrassed for years to share this recipe, because it’s way too simple. So easy it almost feels like cheating… Especially, when almost all the ingredients come “pre-packaged.” Yep, we’re talking canned and boxed ingredients. Ugh…
This is one of my most requested recipes for any big holiday dinner. Yes, it goes with turkey, with beef, and now — with ham. Although I called this recipe Spicy Corn Casserole, it’s ‘controlled-spicy’ however. Please feel free to adjust the amount of heat to your liking. Of course, this rock star dish doesn’t have that much of a pretty face. However, if you can trade that for ease of grocery shopping and cooking, and also minimal cooking time — you’ll do it everyday. EVERYday.
3 big S-words: Sweet. Savory. Spicy. Exactly in that order, when you spoon this food into your mouth. Your tongue will rejoice. Your heart will smile. And your friends? They will ask you to bring this dish over and over again for the holidays. You’re welcome. Merry Christmas!
- 1 8.5 oz. box corn muffin mix
- 1 cup greek style plain yogurt
- 1 can whole-kernel sweet corn, drained
- 1 can cream sweet style corn
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1 - 4 oz can of diced green chilis
- 1 teaspoon crushed red chili pepper flakes (*optional)
- 1½ cups sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat an oven to 350°F. Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking (or lasagna) pan.
- In a big bowl, mix all ingredients until well combined.
- Add corn mixture to the baking pan and bake for 30 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through.