Grape and Walnut Chicken Salad
END OF SUMMER PICNIC WITH LISA
How do I describe my going on 20 years friend Lisa? She is someone that I can give the key to my house, license to use my kitchen, permission to help with my kid — that kind of person. Trustworthy. Loving. Nurturing. Highly creative. Salt of the earth. Soulful. She sees through people. You get the picture. She is somebody that you would want to be more like and to have in your life.
We’ve been playing in my kitchen. Making all sorts of things for this ‘end of summer picnic’ we’re going to have. The menu has to be easy to make, served at room temperature . . . and in terms of packing and cleaning up, it should be a breeze. But, darn, I just lied… Packing may not be that easy. We love those beautiful little vintage dishes we serve our meals on. Utilizing all the fun utensils created decades ago. Antique cutting boards and a thick glass pitcher. French cups and napkins. Hand-sown picnic silver holder. Yes, all these beautiful things make us feel somewhat more… cultured.
Okay, let’s talk about this super scrumptious salad. Ohmygoodness! Guys, listen (or read…) There’s nothing about this salad you won’t like. Nada … It’s sweet, it’s savory, peppery, citrusy, and it has some substance that satisfies. What else do you want from a salad? This recipe is a winner. Keep it, you’ll be happy you did.
Here’s a plug for Lisa. I love you my friend 🙂 Muslingarden.com
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon, minced
- 1 medium apple, unpeeled, chopped
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 poached chicken breasts, diced
- 1 cup red seedless grapes, halved
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 scallion, finely diced
- ¼ cup raisins
- ½ cup toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped
- To make the dressing, whisk the mayo, dijon, lemon zest & tarragon in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, coat the chopped apple with the lemon juice and let sit while you chop the other ingredients.
- Add the chicken, grapes, celery, scallion, raisins and apples into the bowl with the dressing.
- Gently fold ingredients, until all the pieces are coated. Season with sea salt & freshly-ground pepper to taste.
- Cover and refrigerate for two hours to allow flavors to meld. serve over greens (arugula is delicious). Garnish with walnuts & tarragon.